Friday, March 22, 2013

A Most Traumatic Event



     Yesterday my youngest daughter Alyssa had a pretty traumatic experience.  It had been a very busy day at our house.  We had just finished dinner and most of the kids were outside jumping on the trampoline.  Aaron had turned on the television to relax.  I needed some alone “Kelly” time, so I decided to go for a little jog.  I gave Bryson to Aaron, and away I went.  I decided to go for a jog by the cemetery.  I love reading the headstones and visiting family members graves.  Anyway, about 45 minutes later, I made it back home.  As I came up the hill toward our home, I saw a police car parked outside a neighbor’s home.  As I got closer a policeman came out of the neighbor’s garage and stared at me.  I thought to myself, “I hope everyone’s okay.”  I didn’t dare to ask what had happened.  Then I started to think, “Thank goodness the policeman isn’t at my house.”  (We've had our fare share of phone calls to the police with Brody).  I walked in the door and Aaron called to me from the basement.    He said that he needed to speak with me.  I went down the stairs and Aaron told me a policeman had just returned Alyssa.   What?  Are you serious?  I got a sick feeling in my stomach. 
    Apparently, Alyssa heard me leave the house.  She tried to follow me, but couldn’t catch up.  I'm not sure exactly how far she followed me.  I don't think it was far because the neighbors who called the police only live 2 houses down the street on the opposite side.  We should know our neighbors, but everyone East of the stop sign is in a different stake.  I guess that's my excuse.  Anyhow, they could see Alyssa was upset, there was no parent around, she didn’t have a coat on, etc., so they decided to call the police.  The policeman asked Alyssa what her name was.  She told him,” Alyssa,” but couldn’t give him her last name.  He asked her who her parents were.  She replied, “Aaron and Kelly.”  Luckily the policeman stopped Kent (My father-in-law) and asked him if he knew a Aaron and Kelly.  He told him that we were a son and daughter in law and that we lived in his home. The police officer then told him about Alyssa.  He brought Alyssa home and Aaron filled out a report. I feel horrible.   I’m suppose to give a lesson on becoming a Goodly Parent this week.  Who am I to give this lesson, especially when I let something like this happen to my child?

1 comment:

Dave and Ashley Blackhurst said...

Oh, Kel. You shouldn't beat yourself up about this; totally out of your control! If anything, laugh and be proud of the show you put on for your neighbors;)