Friday, April 6, 2012

What Is Cholestasis?

     What is Cholestasis? -Don't know? Well, neither did I until a few days ago. Monday afternoon I started itching like crazy all over my body. I thought I had a reaction to my infusion that I get twice a week. I took some benadryl and hoped that would take care of it. That night I don't think I slept a wink. Same thing Tuesday. I couldn't stop itching all day long. Finally around midnight I got on the computer and googled itching with pregnancy. It brought up the word Cholestasis. Cholestasis is severe itching late in pregnancy. It occurs in about 1 out of 1,000 pregnancies. Pregnancy hormones affect gallbladder function, resluting in slowing or stopping the flow of bile. The gallbladder holds bile that is produced in the liver, which is necessary in the breakdown of fats in digestion. When the bile flow is stopped or slowed down, this causes a build up of bile acids in the liver which can spill into the bloodstream.
     On Wednesday I called my doctor and told him what I'd been experiencing along with what I'd googled on the internet.  He ordered some blood work for me.  I went to AF hospital and had my blood drawn.  The next morning  I got my results back.  Wouldn't you know it...positive for cholestasis.
     Cholestasis can be dangerous for the fetus.  My doctor has to chdck with his board, but I will most likely be having my baby this weekend!

No comments: